I can’t play Skyrim. Please help me…
Thanks for all your suggestions people. In the end I got completely bored of the headache of trying to fix the game. I just want to play it, so I bought the Xbox 360 version instead. The graphics aren’t as tidy but it’s much more reliable, and I get to sit on a sofa, which is quite a bonus for a 300 hour game. Blessings be upon you.
After working myself into a frenzy of excitement, and having been completely failed by Amazon’s release date delivery promise, I ran to the shops yesterday and bought another copy of Skyrim, rushed home, installed that bitch, and have been pretty much unable to play it since. I NEED YOUR HELP OR I’LL DIE!
1. Laggy mouse movement
2. For an acceptable frame rate, having to play the game on far lower graphical settings than the auto-detect settings
3. Frame rate starts fine then gradually deterorates until the game crashes after about 5 minutes
4. Game repeatedly crashes to desktop. After the blackout, task manager shows a CPU spike. Often, I have to restart Steam or my entire PC before it will allow me to play again
5. Weirdly, after Skyrim has crashed, I can no longer use Firefox – the browser window appears black and all the icons within it are individually blacked out.
One of these symptoms first began when I installed the DLC for Fallout: New Vegas. My PC can play fallout with maxed out settings at 60fps. Howevers soon as I installed the expansion levels, Fallout would crash to desktop every 5 minutes or so without an error message.
XP (32 bit)
Intel Core 2 Quad 9650 @3.00Ghz
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Golden Orb II
3.25 gb Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4770 512MB
Tascam US-122 audio device
FIXES I’VE TRIED SO FAR:
1. Reducing my graphical settings so they’re less taxing (lower draw distance, less anti-aliasing, basic shadows etc). Doesn’t work.
2. I attempted the common fix suggested on sites by altering sound settings to 44.1 in the control panel, but the window containing that option doesn’t even exist so I can’t do that.
3. I have killed as many background processes as possible, and have plenty of free RAM headroom.
4. Updated graphics drivers to their current versions.
I bought a new widescreen monitor just to play this game. I’ve booked myself time off work. Fix this problem and I will do something special for you. I don’t know what it is yet but I will. X